Most of the people living with autoimmune diseases are women who are childbearing age. Matter of fact autoimmune diseases are the leading causes of death and disability in girls and women 65 years of age and younger.
Autoimmune diseases occur when the immune system mistakenly attacks itself. Here’s a few autoimmune diseases common in women:
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Systemic Lupus
What puts you at risk for autoimmunity?
- Studies have concluded that the tendency to develop autoimmune diseases can be inherited.
- Research demonstrates that certain medications like procainamide or hydrolyzine are associated with the development of autoimmune diseases. Even medals like mercury, gold, and silver are linked to autoimmune diseases.
When I was diagnosed with systemic lupus my life changed. The doctors recommended a course of treatment that included steroids and chemo drugs. The side effects of these medications robbed me of quality of life. Nausea, loss of appetite, and headaches became my new normal. These side effects coupled with what comes with autoimmune disease was truly overwhelming. When I became fed up with pain, fatigue, and joint swelling it was time to take matters into my hands.
After taking health & wellness courses I developed a regimen that sparked remission. Living in remission for three years has come with many lessons.
If you are living with an autoimmune disease, there is hope. Let’s talk about ways to improve your health.
Essential oils have been known as mankind’s first medicine. Pure essential oils are highly concentrated compounds that are pressed or distilled from plants. Since essential oils are plant-based they carry little to no side effects. Many essential oils can act as antibiotics.
Oregano essential oil is an antibiotic, anti-fungal, and antibacterial. Oregano oil will improve gut health by destroying gut parasites. Another benefit of oregano essential oil is its pain-relieving properties.
Spikenard essential oil not only is an antibiotic but also a sedative. Combine spikenard with lavender essential oil to create a relaxing environmental or apply topically to give a natural glow to your skin. Remember when applying essential oils to your skin always use a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba oil.
Cinnamon a spice often used in baking is also an antibiotic and analgesic (pain-relief). Enjoy the benefits of cinnamon essential oil by putting two drops in a veggie capsule to maintain a healthy immune system.
Food is medicine. The foods you consume are either destroying your body or healing your body. There are essential nutrients your body is unable to make or can’t make in significant quantity. These nutrients play a role in overall good health and disease prevention.
Six main groups of essential nutrients include:
- Protein can be found in beans, nuts, and eggs.
- Carbohydrates to fuel your body like whole grain and beans
- Fats (unsaturated) Eating foods like nuts, fruits, or avocado/olive oil will give your body the healthy fats it needs.
- Vitamins especially A, C, B6, and D. Consuming a varied well-balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies will keep your gut healthy.
- Minerals (calcium, iron, and zinc) Calcium is known for bone strengthening however it also helps with nerve signal transmission and healthy blood pressure. Calcium rich foods include chia seeds, yogurt, and lentils. Iron supports the red blood cells and is responsible for hormone creation. Spinach, chickpeas, and quinoa have high levels of iron. Zinc will boost your immune system. Find zinc in pumpkin seeds, sweet potatoes, and almonds. When your sweet tooth starts craving its okay to have a little dark chocolate since a 3.5-ounce bar will provide 30% of your zinc daily value.
Aerobic exercise like swimming, walking, and jazzercise provide many benefits. Important benefits of aerobic exercise include:
- Increases good cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol
- Strengthens the heart
- Prevents cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and certain cancers
- Better quality of sleep
There are countless other benefits of aerobic exercise. Do something today your body will thank you for later.
These healthy living tips will prove beneficial in preventing and alleviating autoimmune diseases. Begin your wellness journey today!