Everyone knows that February is the month of love. Before January was even over, stores were already stocking the shelves with red hearts filled with chocolate candy, romantic greeting cards, and sexy lingerie. There are all types of tips on what to serve for a romantic dinner and even date ideas. Romantic love. It’s a good thing, but I want to talk about another type of love. Self-love.
Self-love is when you treat yourself with all of the tender loving care that you reserve for that special someone. For the month of February, I want you to be that someone. I want you to make the decision that you are going to do something for you every day. It doesn’t have to be big, or expensive. But for this month, you are going to put your needs on the front burner. You are going to make the time to take care of you. Below are twelve of my tips on loving on you this month. They are inexpensive and don’t take a lot of preparation.
- Take a warm relaxing bath – Pull out your candles, put on some soft music and enjoy the serenity.
- Sleep late – turn the alarm off and don’t feel guilty about the extra hours your body needs.
- Read for pleasure – we are often reading for work or business. But choose a book and pleasure read.
- Buy your own flowers – you don’t have to wait for someone else to send you flowers.
- Spend time with your friends – often we are busy and that girlfriend time is the first thing to go.
- Stop negative self-talk – if you wouldn’t say it to someone else, don’t say it to you.
- Ask for help – you are not Wonder Woman or even Super Woman. You can’t do it all.
- Just say No – Don’t feel like you have to say yes. If you don’t want to do it, don’t.
- Meditate – this is a great way to release stress and clear your mind
- Forgive yourself – for any mistakes or perceived shortcomings
- Make a list of things you are grateful for. Start a grateful journal.
- Unplug – give yourself some time away from your phone, tablet, computer
This is a short list of some of my favorite self-love practices. Create your own list and practice self-love often. Feeling guilty is one of the main reasons that women don’t take the time for themselves. Let this LOVE month be the start of many more self-love experiences.
Lifestyle Editor Conchetta Jones is a personal development and confidence coach. As owner of Confident Woman,She’s All That, she helps women to identify the obstacles in their lives that are keeping them stuck and not living the life of their dreams.